CompanyTucson Electric Power
Job CategoryDrafting and Mapping
Notice of Vacancy (Classified Position)
Date Posted: 06/30/2020
Date Expires: 07/14/2020
Testing Date: Week of 07/20/2020 (You will be notified of the date and time)
Interview Dates: Week of 07/20/2020 (You will be notified of the date and time)
**Candidates selected for testing will receive a confirmation at the email address provided on the application with notification of the scheduled date and time for the testing session. If a passing score is received on the written test, candidates will be notified via email of their scheduled interview date and time.
**Dates are subject to change based on business needs, weather and unforeseen circumstances
Please apply on line on Company Intranet under Career Opportunities. If you have any questions, contact Stacie Faltz @ email@example.com
A vacancy exists for the position of GIS Technician in the GIS Quality Mapping area within the T&D Operations Department.
Normal Minimum Requirements:
* Must have one-year work experience in Geographic Information System (GIS) database/mapping software (ESRI or GE SmallWorld, preferred)
* Must have valid, up-to-date, driver's license
* Must have basic knowledge of cartographic design, map reading, aerial photography and geo-referenced/geocoded data
* Must have basic computer skills/knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
* Ability to work overtime as necessary
* Ability to work harmoniously with fellow workers and customers
* Ability to work in the field on an all-day basis
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
* Knowledge of electric utility distribution system preferred
* Physically able to sit and walk for extended periods of time
*PLEASE NOTE: To be considered for this position, a resume must be submitted, enumerating qualifications and skills.
There will be a two-step testing procedure required for this position. The first step is a written exam followed by a behavioral based interview. The first step of the process must be passed to progress to the next step.
We are providing a study outline to prepare for the three-part testing procedure. The outline is designed to maximize test results by centralizing study times in the areas listed below:
Job Specific Skills Test
* Multiplication Division
* Working with fractions
* Word problems
* Map reading
* Line diagrams
* Geographic Info Systems
* (GIS) Terminology and practice
Behavioral Based Interview
The interview is a behavioral based interview incorporating our Core Competencies. In this process, we believe that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior and more behavior that is recent is a better predictor of future behavior than older behavior, and that long-standing trends are better predictors of behavior than isolated incidents. We therefore have patterned the questions during the interview to solicit behavior patterns that indicate with high predictability whether the candidate can perform the job as required. This type of interview is different from those that you may have taken in the past.
Core Competency Outline
* Considers the financial implications for each decision you make.
* Demonstrates an understanding of the cost pressures inherent within our business and is able and willing to take action accordingly.
* Seeks out new learning opportunities as well as sharing, identifying and acting on lessons learned from successes and failures.
* Sincerely, willingly and continuously reaffirms key goals or values.
* Helps detect and resolve team breakdowns resulting from change.
* Learns and develops new skills or behaviors to adapt to constant, sometimes turbulent change.
* Shows a willingness to take calculated risks to accomplish project deliverables.
* Shows flexibility with current procedures to effectively achieve a business result for a customer.
* Improves performance by applying concepts from other situations to a new situation.
* Is determined to succeed and maintains focus in the face of the challenges.
* Be able to discuss the Core Competencies.
Possesses financial understanding and demonstrates the ability to foster and lead cost efficient initiatives without sacrificing quality or core values.
Develops People and Self
Views people, their knowledge, and capabilities as the organization's core assets. Supports the structures and policies that encourage employees to continuously seek improvement. Creates development possibilities for self and others.
Effectively Manages Change
Accepts and successfully adapts to change. Helps others adapt and remain effective.
Is willing and able to be competitive and take risks in growing the organization's profitability, while holding self and others accountable. Seeks to accomplish critical tasks with measurable results. Personally strives for excellence in performance by surpassing established standards. "Under promises and over delivers."
Support T&D Operations in all aspects of mapping, as-built reporting and GIS data integrity. Maintain up-to-date and accurate maps to ensure standard quality, as well as, maintain relevant databases for accurate analysis. Responsible for making maps from a variety Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications. Read and interpret maps, manipulate and understand digital land data and manage data entered into GIS databases. Assist Engineering Draftsman with basic land base updates, simple as-built, data cleanup, and field checks.
* Process GIS quality assurance & control error logs.
* Perform data clean up tasks in GIS and the work management system.
* Update GIS data objects and add new objects and attributes.
* Complete simple as-built, such as services and replacements/change-outs.
* Create, maintain and publish/distribute map exhibits, GIS reports and data extract files, including tracking progress on large-scale projects.
* Perform field checks to verify as-built and/or GIS and asset information.
* Assist with as-built archiving process.
* Perform geo-rectification tasks.
* Process City Boring Research requests.
* Process simple land base requests such as lot splits, project boundaries and annexation boundaries.
* Give continuing and meticulous attention to detail.
* Perform assigned work in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with Company practices and procedures.
* Continuously communicates with Design, Construction, Systems Office, Engineering and other team members as required, to coordinate activities and enable the work group to ensure data integrity and customer satisfaction.
* This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Knowledgeable about electrical service requirements and construction standards.
* Demonstrates basic math, and electric theory skills.
* Familiarity with reading maps, including but not limited to electrical facilities, aerial, and topological maps.
* Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) and database relationships, such as GE SmallWorld or ESRI ArcGIS applications (GE SmallWorld preferred).
* Demonstrates Microsoft Office skills, including basic Word, Outlook and PowerPoint skills and intermediate Excel skills.
* Demonstrates ability to interpret aerial photography or imagery.
* Familiarity with GPS units and primary data collection in the field.
* Understands and possess practical cartography experience with concepts such as projections, coordinate systems, etc.
* Proven ability to perform accurate work in a timeframe which meets department objectives with minimal supervision.
* Works overtime as necessary.
* Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
* Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy with editing data.
* Self-motivated and works well both independently and in a team environment.
* Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
* Be able to work in the field on an all-day basis.
* May be assigned to work at any TEP work site as required.
All employees are expected and required to adhere to the Company Code of Ethics and Principles of Conduct.