Product Safety Engineers
Product Safety Engineers
Current Available Jobs
Projected job openings through 2024
Product Safety Engineers
Product Safety Engineers
Investigate causes of accidents, injuries, or illnesses related to product usage to develop solutions to minimize or prevent recurrence.
Conduct research to evaluate safety levels for products.
Report accident investigation findings.
Evaluate product designs for safety.
Recommend procedures for detection, prevention, and elimination of physical, chemical, or other product hazards.
Evaluate potential health hazards or damage that could occur from product misuse.
Participate in preparation of product usage and precautionary label instructions.
Provide expert testimony in litigation cases.
Develop industry standards of product safety.
Product Safety Engineers
Common knowledge, skills & abilities needed to get a foot in the door.
Engineering and Technology
Law and Government
Administration and Management
Product Safety Engineers
Honeywell Aerospace Military Avionics Center of Excellence group has an immediate opening for a System Safety Engineer for the Military Avionics Center of Excellence. This group has responsibility for Military Avionics systems and products at several different Honeywell sites. Responsibilities will be to support Design Engineering, Product Engineering, Quality Engineering and Customer Support.
You will be integral in system solutions that meet the evolving needs of our Aerospace customers. You will bring your System safety and reliability expertise to coordinate closely with subsystem design personnel (software and hardware, internal and customer) in order to understand system requirements and operation. This includes identifying and understanding system hazards and how to decompose hazard responsibility and associated hazard mitigation to the applicable subsystems.
· Support Design Engineering, Product Engineering, Quality Engineering
· Perform Functional Hazard Assessments, Preliminary System Safety Analysis, System Safety Assessments
· Systems design analysis respective of potential failure modes affecting functional hazards, fault tree analysis, common mode analysis, Failure Modes Effects Analysis
· Define appropriate safety requirements and requirement validation and verification
· Customer interaction and Support
· Project coordination and oversight
· Budgeting/scheduling responsibilities
· Prepare data for presentation to internal and external customers
YOU MUST HAVE
· BS degree in Electrical, Systems, Computer Science or Aeronautical Engineering
· Must be a U.S. citizen due to ITAR restrictions
· 6+ years’ experience in the Engineering, Quality, or Manufacturing of the Aerospace or Nuclear industry
· Technical understanding of the Aerospace industry
· Ability to read schematics
· Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels in the organization
· Able to recognize the validity of data and utilize a variety of analytical techniques to solve problems
· Understanding of Functional Hazard Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Criticality Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, Common Mode Analysis, and Probabilistic Risk Assessment
· Familiarity with ARP-4761, ARP 4754A
· Ability to execute technical skills involving hardware design, test, and manufacturing.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities.
· Leadership skills to influence others
· A working knowledge of standard Microsoft office tools
· Must be able to communicate well and work as a team with other engineers
· Knowledge of the systems development life cycle and Aerospace product knowledge
· Demonstrate an understanding of potential failure modes/mechanisms, failure detection and response, methods of fault annunciation, fault containment, software certification techniques and fault recovery.
· Ability to examine a system's design to evaluate hazards and assess risks and ensure the system architecture can meet the assigned probabilities for each hazard
· Familiarity with the testing process to coordinate with test developers to ensure that tests adequately address the safety-critical aspects of the design.
· Experience using safety analysis tools such as CAFTA.
· Ability to quote and estimate work effort
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION: Yes
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE: Relocation assistance may be available
CLEARANCE TYPE: Secret
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
The Northrop Grumman Space Systems is searching for an experienced Principal System Safety Engineer to join the Launch Vehicles business unit to support the Zombie Program in Chandler, AZ.
The Principal System Safety Engineer utilizes the System engineering processes and tools to drive the overall system design to meet Safety requirements to minimize the risk inherent in launch vehicle operations while maximizing mission reliability and success.
At Northrop Grumman Launch Vehicles, System Safety Engineering is involved in all phases of a pro gram life cycle, from proposal generation to launch operations. System Safety Engineering interfaces with the various Ranges to ensure that our launch vehicles meet safety requirements while providing high reliability to the customer.
The Principal System Safety Engineer is responsible for working with a System Safety Engineering team that develops key range safety deliverables, and support system safety activities including ground safety, range safety and flight safety throughout the Zombie Program life cycle.
The System Safety Engineering deliverables are the only documents that provide a complete, true system description of the components, systems, launch vehicle and mission design, and as such require a high level of understanding of the entire design.
The System Safety Engineering effort includes interacting as part of a multi-disciplined engineering team to develop the launch system architecture and constituent elements for new and existing flight programs, as well as new business concepts and proposals.
This position may include launch campaign support at remote launch sites both domestic and international. Responsibilities: Interact with key internal and external customers and partners on a daily basis regarding system safety topics. Work with or lead a small team of System Safety engineers in defining, implementing and verifying System Safety requirements to ensure that the inherent risks are mitigated.
System Safety Engineers are responsible for understanding the entire mission, including the launch vehicle, payload, ground support equipment, range infrastructure and range safety interfaces. System Safety Engineers are expected to understand how the different components, subsystems, systems and integrated launch vehicle function and interact, with a focus on System Safety. Apply the systems engineering process to define and verify launch vehicle and ground support equipment requirements to ensure safe operations and conduct system safety analyses to architect and implement a safe and robust system.
Define and verify launch vehicle-to-payload interface requirements and support space vehicle launch campaign management activities at domestic and international launch sites. Manage interface with customer safety and launch integration personnel and support ground operations and launch mission working groups as requested. Support launch vehicle design and development to ensure that customer and internal goals for safety, mission success, and performance are met.
Analyze Integration and Test processes to demonstrate customer and internal requirements are met for both safety and mission success. Conduct system level analyses to architect and design next generation mission concepts to maximize mission success without compromising compliance with customer, government and internal flight safety requirements.
Describe, analyze and explain launch vehicle designs to External customers to explain how applicable safety requirements for design, build, and test are met. Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems. Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards. Develops safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements.
Performs audits of operational areas and reports effectiveness of system safety program. Participates in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions. Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program.
- 5 years of related experience with Bachelors in Science; 3 years of related experience with Masters in science; some experience preferred with PhD in science or in lieu of degree must have 9 years of directly related system safety range experience is required.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- The ability to obtain a DoD Secret Security Clearance is required.
- Experience with launch vehicle system design, testing or Mission Operations Exposure to the systems engineering discipline and its application for system safety
- Experience with tailoring and implementing RCC-319, RCC-324, AFSPCMAN-91-710 and/or MIL-STD-882
- Experience leading a small team of engineers (managing deadlines, scheduling work) Preferred Qualifications:
- Active DoD Secret Security Clearance is preferred - Established relationships with Range Safety Personnel
- Experience with Solid Rocket Boost Stages and Liquid Fueled rockets
- Experience in launch vehicle system integration, testing and evaluation
- Experience in presenting in front of customers and Air Force/NASA personnel
- Experience in development and maintenance of requirements control documents and related processes
- Experience using Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS.
Salary Range: $79,400.00 - $119,200.00
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
We are a pioneering company.
With careers across all areas: air, cyber, land, sea and space – our 90,000 employees work as one to defend and define the future. Northrop Grumman careers and internships are as varied as your interests, with a lifetime of potential that will give you every opportunity to do your best work. Working together with people from many backgrounds, personal passions and disciplines, we share a drive to push the boundaries of science, technology and engineering to meet the ever evolving needs of our customers worldwide.
Systems Safety Engineer
Job Number: 315597
Category: Software & Systems SBU
Description: A Systems Safety Engineer job in Phoenix, AZ is currently available at Belcan. This position can be worked remotely anywhere in the U.S. This is a direct, full-time position with benefits. To be considered for this role, you will need a Bachelor of Science degree in the engineering field, and a minimum of 5 years of experience within the aerospace and defense industry, preference for systems experience in the defense and space market or other highly regulated industry experience. This position requires travel.
Experience in one or more of the following platforms is preferred: Spacecraft (Launch Vehicle), Satellite, Propulsion Systems, Fault Tolerant Systems, Electrical Power or Engine Control systems.
Candidates will be involved in leading, executing and / or oversight for various systems engineering tasks including:
* System requirements definition and management - specifically the identification of Systems Safety related requirements in the field of airborne avionics and/or spacecraft systems
* Architecture design capture support - provide systems safety related expertise to the evolution of the structure, behavior, and more views of the system that align with the Concept of Operations (CONOPS)
* Perform Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Modes Effects & Critically Analysis (FMECA), and / or reliability analysis
* Work across functional teams to investigate and solve problems, including trade studies and optimization activities
* Help raise the level of performance of the team through a collaborative team setting, consistent communication, and willingness to help others achieve success
* Communicate safety related issues / risks with clarity to a wide audience in multiple settings
* Apply a broad Systems Safety background to support various activities through the system development life cycle
* Bachelor of Science degree in systems engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, equivalent engineering degree from an accredited institution or relevant equivalent experience.
* 5+ years systems or electrical engineering or similar relevant experience in avionics related hardware platforms
* Demonstrated experience in system safety development and regulatory approval processes where rigorous process and regulatory standards are required, including standards such as ARP-4754, DO-178B/C, DO-160 and Mil Standards
* Atlassian tools experience (JIRA, Confluence, Git)
* DOORs / DOORS NextGen tools experience
* Matlab / Simulink experience is desired
* Ability to deal with ambiguity, investigate and solve problems, work across multi-discipline teams, and to recommend solutions to complex system level problems
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required/US Citizenship is required
Location: Phoenix , AZ
Minimum Experience (yrs): 5
Required Education: Bachelor (BA, BS...)
Return to search results Email this job to a friend (emailjobs.asp?jo_num=315597)
If you have previously registered with us, pleaseLog in (memberlogin.asp) to apply for this position.
*Logged in members may also add jobs to their job cart
(STEM) Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics