Sets up and operates various conventional and/or numerically controlled machining centers on the
most complex and difficult jobs. Works from blueprints, sketches, planning sheets, verbal
instructions, and/or engineering, tooling, or equipment information. Contributes to lean
initiatives to increase productivity and reduce costs. Works independently with minimum guidance in
a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Runs multiple machines efficiently, which may require simultaneous operations. Adapts or
improvises tooling to accomplish results where operations require a broad knowledge of production
machining technology, operating skills, and shop techniques together with diversified experience.
• Sets ups, adjusts, and operates a variety of conventional and/or special purpose 5 axis
machines to perform the most diversified and difficult production operations on work having close
and exact tolerances, several dimensional relationships, unusual contours, dimensional and finish
• Interprets customer requirements from blueprints, complex drawings, engineering
specifications, quality directives, charts, tables, sketches, and verbal instructions.
• Interfaces with engineering to resolve drawing errors, suggest design changes, and solve
• Implements manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling.
May advise and assist with tooling design.
• Makes complex setups, which may include multiple work piece stations, utilizing custom and
standard holding devices.
• Develops and defines processes with limited documentation, as required.
• Trouble shoots and resolves machining problems.
• Responsible for machining and checking parts to maintain a high level of quality and
• Inspects finished parts for conformance to specifications by visual examination, and utilizes
precision measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers, comparators, and surface
plate techniques. May be required to use coordinate measuring machine (CMM). Ensures equipment is
calibrated in accordance with schedule.
• Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to
• Accurately and regularly performs statistical process control (SPC) specific to division
• Uses advanced shop mathematics, which may include trigonometry, and general knowledge of metal
characteristics and other processing requirements.
• Actively contributes to lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for
improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area.
• Provides guidance or assistance in coordinating workload priorities to make appropriate
accommodations based on business demand.
• Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean
and orderly work area.
• Trains and mentors less experienced team members. 18. Performs other related responsibilities,
Education, Training, Skills and Experience Requirements:
• Five or more years of directly related machining experience in a high technology manufacturing
environment. Able to work with minimum supervisory guidance.
• Handles multiple tasks with changing priorities to meet customer needs.
• May require specialize certification specific to division requirements (i.e. certified
• Reads, understands, and follows blueprints, complex drawings, engineering specifications, and
informal written or verbal instructions.
• Able to make and evaluate precision machine set ups.
• Has working knowledge of advanced shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
• Able to implement lean initiatives.
• Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the
ability to work in a team environment on research and solution development.
• Possesses effective mentoring and training skills, and ability to service as a resource to
other team members.
• Interprets reports and uses job specific software applications. Able to use employee
self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems (i.e. PMR,
• Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting,
performance feedback, and self-development activities.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is required to walk, stand, and sit for
extended periods of time. The team member is required to demonstrate manual dexterity and use hands
to operate machinery. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Also
expected of the team member is regular attendance, and the ability to work cooperatively and
professionally with others. May be required to lift up to 50 lbs.
(The essential functions have been provided as examples of types of work performed by team members
assigned to this job classification. The Company reserves the right to modify work assignments
and/or to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified team members can perform the essential
functions of the job. The physical and mental demands described above are representative of those
required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.)
This position requires access to information, or technology, which is subject to the International
Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of
ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a (i) citizen or national of the United States; or (ii) a
Holder”); or (iii) a person admitted to gee, or granted asylum, as specified under applicable law.