City of Glendale AZ Glendale, AZ 85304
Performs skilled work in the testing, installation and repair of traffic signal and ITS equipment and in the design and maintenance of networking systems and test equipment.
1. Troubleshoots and repairs all malfunctioning microprocessor based traffic signal control and ITS equipment.
2. Programs and tests traffic signal and ITS equipment and verifies that equipment operates within specifications.
3. Operates traffic signal and ITS equipment pertaining to field and shop environments including oscilloscopes, volt-ohm-meters, microprocessor equipment, and OTDR's.
4. Wires, modifies and installs traffic signal control cabinets, adds additional circuitry and updates existing equipment.
5. Sets and checks timing of traffic signal controllers at intersections and at the city's central signal control system KITS; maintains a file of timings for all intersections.
6. Designs, constructs and uses various test equipment and display panels.
7. Maintains computerized equipment inventory and vendor contact list for Transportation Systems Management.
8. Performs maintenance of all equipment at signalized intersections.
9. Evaluates and tests new equipment for possible use and maintains a file of equipment in use by location.
10. Maintains spare parts inventory of traffic signal and ITS equipment; orders parts as needed.
11. Receives and handles all trouble calls relating to traffic signal repair.
12. Performs aerial work up to 60 feet using bucket trucks.
13. Recommends updates to the Transportation Systems Management standards and specifications.
14. Updates computer database of the city's fiber optics network and related components.
15. Generates statistical reports relevant to traffic signal timing and event management.
16. Maintains, repairs, troubleshoots and installs detection systems including radar, video and magnetometer systems.
17. Assists in traffic control during special events at city facilities including setting barricades and programming dynamic message signs.
18. May act as the lead worker on signal enhancement projects. Operates assigned city vehicle(s).
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Special Requirements
Associate's Degree or trade school course certification in electronics or network management and three years experience in electronics or other related field.
The principles and practices and equipment involved in the installation and maintenance of traffic signals, controllers and ITS equipment
Possible defects in traffic signal and ITS equipment and of effective corrective measures
The maintenance of electronic equipment and the use of applicable tools, meters and test equipment
The occupational hazards and necessary precautions relative to electrical and electronic traffic signal repair work
The use of traffic signal and ITS testing equipment and other related tools
Troubleshooting and repairing defects in traffic signal and ITS systems
Design and build computer networks, electrical systems and wireless networks
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, contractors, vendors and the public
Work from drawings and specifications and to understand and follow oral and written instructions
Provide expertise in areas of traffic signal and ITS design and repair
Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
*Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.*
A valid Arizona driver's license at time of application
Requires Work Zone Safety Certification within one year from the date of hire
Requires IMSA Level I Certification within one year from the date of hire, and Level II Certification within two years from the date of hire
Will require after hours on call traffic signal duty and working scheduled extended hours during large spectator events
Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment, and will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment, in accordance with the City of Glendale Substance Abuse policy.
Often requires lifting heavy equipment of up to 75 pounds, performing signal repairs at the height of traffic lights, sometimes in inclement weather.
Exposure to traffic, weather extremes, exhaust fumes.
*Salary:* $49,446.00 - $74,169.00 Annually
*Location:* Glendale, AZ
*Job Type:* Full Time
*Job Number:* 2020 -01993
*Closing:* 9/30/2020 5:00 PM Arizona
*Agency:* City of Glendale (AZ)
*Address:* 5850 W. Glendale Ave. Glendale, Arizona, 85301