Banner Health Mesa, AZ 85277
Banner Baywood Medical Center is a 332-bed hospital serving the health care needs of the dynamic and growing East Valley communities of metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona. We provide complete acute care services including cancer, stroke, women's health, rehabilitation, emergency medicine and surgery. In addition, our orthopedic unit has earned repeated recognition as having one of the Top 100 Orthopaedic Programs in the U.S. by The Health Network and HCIA, Inc.
This position is responsible for providing patient care and assists health care providers in performing assigned patient procedures within scope of training. Position receives general supervision from RN, APN, PA, or Physician in providing patient care.
1. Under general supervision of the RN, APN, PA, or Physician, performs assigned procedures including, but not limited to: electrocardiogram testing (EKG); wound cleansing; initial, repeat and orthostatic vital sign measurements; application of monitor leads, specimen collection, and transports stable telemetry or non-monitored patients to nursing units. Advanced skills and functions: Where state statute permits, performs blood glucose testing; phlebotomy; saline lock insertion; IV discontinuation; bladder (Foley) catheterization. After training in these advanced skills the ED Tech may perform these functions per state and facility guidelines on adult patients and pediatric patiens twelve years of age and older upon direct delegation of the task.
2. Sets up, prepares patient and assists with patient exam and minor surgical or health procedures within scope of training such as, but not limited to: lumbar punctures; sterile instrument and field preparation, suturing lacerations, chest tube insertion, closed fracture reduction, gastric lavage, pelvic examinations, restraint application, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Applies orthopedic devices, to include pre-manufactured and plaster splints under physician direction.
3. Performs specimen collection, ensuring accuracy in identification and integrity by using appropriate techniques for all age criteria as required by Lab. Where state statute permits, performs point of care testing for blood glucose, hemoccult and gastroccult or other tests, and performs quality control checks on point of care equipment as required.
4. Provides communication and updates to RN, Physician or other providers related to perceived reactions or changes to patients' condition. Accurately records information in the patient record, documents vital signs and procedures completed, as well as the equipment and techniques utilized.
5. Monitors supply stock levels and reports needs. Notifies housekeeping, maintenance, biomedical engineering, and others to ensure proper equipment and a safe environment is maintained. Maintains appropriate levels of stock in medication room, exam room bedside carts, and specialty carts. Assists with health unit coordination tasks and reception responsibilities as needed.
6. Attends department meetings and educational sessions; Assists in orienting and training of new ED Technicians.
7. Position receives general supervision from RN, APN, PA, or Physician and other appropriate licensed health professionals. Position uses problem solving skills and provides effective communication with patients, patient families, health care providers and ancillary departments within the organization to provide quality patient care.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING
TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
DP - Typical Direct Patient Care environment: (Nutrition Rep, Chaplain, RN)
Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently.
Possess physical agility and adequate reaction time to respond quickly and appropriately to unexpected patient care needs.
Needs adequate hearing and visual acuity, including adequate color vision.
Requires fine motor skills, adequate eye-hand coordination, and ability to grasp and handle objects.
Able to use proper body mechanics to assist patients in ambulating, transferring in and out of bed, chair or wheelchair.
May be required to lift up to 75 pounds.
Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and bodily fluids.
Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone.
May require periodic use of personal computer.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. Either Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) with state licensure, or EMT National registry certification, or Certified Nursing Assistant in state of practice is required for new hires and transfers. In Colorado: Either Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) with state licensure, or EMT National registry certification.
Position requires basic computer skills, effective communication (written and verbal) skills, and problem-solving ability.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 12/27/2018